Swiss Society of Nutrition
Statistical data from a study by the Swiss Society of Nutrition show that the Swiss don’t have the best immunitary system. According to the study, which was conducted by doctors and researchers from the ETH Zurich, the Universities of Zurich, Lausanne and Groningen (NL), as well as the Swiss Society for Nutrition and the Lung League, the reason is a lack of vitamins C and D, omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and zinc, nutrients that are necessary for the immune system to function optimally.
Having made it clear that a good immunitary system can protect against viruses or limit their severity and duration in the event of illness, the study’s findings about the ‘debilitated’ status of the population would explain why the infection and death rate in Switzerland is two to four times higher than in countries with a comparable welfare status and quality of life.
Explanation from the experts
The observations of Heike Bischoff-Ferrari, director of the Geriatrics Clinic at the University Hospital of Zurich and head of the University Clinic at the Waid and Triemli City Hospital of the experts of the Swiss Society of Nutrition are extremely interesting in this respect.
Mrs Bischoff-Ferrari, how can the shortage be compensated?
“A balanced and healthy diet would ensure the intake of most micronutrients: sufficient fruit and vegetables and healthy protein sources at every meal, such as legumes, nuts and fish. Only vitamin D cannot be absorbed sufficiently through food. This is problematic when it comes to Covid-19.“
For what reason?
“Vitamin D reduced the risk of respiratory infections according to 25 studies conducted especially on people who were deficient in it. According to one test of 76 coronavirus-positive patients – who were given vitamin D during treatment – only 2 per cent needed to be transferred to the intensive care unit. In the control group it was 50 per cent.“
Where does the body get its vitamin D from?
“The main source is the sun, which is scarce in winter. It has been shown that every second person has a vitamin D deficiency. It should therefore be taken in a targeted manner.“
What should you look out for with vitamin D supplements?
“Just the dosage. Adults should consume 800 IU per day.“
How do you recognise a nutritional deficiency?
“Unfortunately, there are clear clinical signs only in cases of severe deficiency. There are often symptoms that can have many causes such as tiredness and weakness. As far as vitamin C is concerned, it is enough to check the diet: can I eat five portions of fruit or vegetables a day? Blood tests provide information on everything else“.
Do some people have a particularly high need for nutrients?
“When it comes to vitamin D and protein, these are most important for the elderly. But smokers also have an increased risk of respiratory infections and should take special protection or stop smoking immediately. Excessive alcohol consumption also weakens the immune system.”
This is the dosage intake recommended by experts for food supplements:
• Vitamin D: supplementation with 2000 IU (50 μg) per person per day has been shown to reduce the risk of respiratory tract infections. The upper limit (UL) for vitamin D is 4000 IU per person/day.
• Vitamin C: supplementation with 200 mg per person per day. Vitamin C plays a fundamental role in the immune response. A deficiency in this vitamin increases susceptibility to infections, such as pneumonia. There is no upper limit for vitamin C.
• Omega-3 fatty acids: supplementation with 500 mg DHA and EPA per person per day to reduce the risk of infection. There is no upper limit for the intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
• Selenium: supplementation with 50 – 100 µg per person/day, as selenium levels in the Swiss population are partly as low as in other European countries. The upper limit (UL) for selenium is 300 μg per person/day.
• Zinc: supplement with 10 mg per person per day, as zinc levels in the Swiss population are somewhat low.
TISinc, in full compliance with these authoritative indications of the Swiss Society of Nutrition, offers you, exclusively in Switzerland, Sirt500 Plus, a natural food supplement which, through its complete formula of some of these precious elements, naturally reinforces your immune system, a very important condition to better face the pandemic.
Editorial Staff La Fonte della Giovinezza